Question on Coagulation of Latex

Question on Coagulation of Latex

Postby cschuah92 on Sat May 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Erm...
Few days ago, my chemistry teacher taught me on coagulation of latex.
Something just make me curious and i asked my chemistry teacher to explain but she can't.

So, I just wanna ask...
Why acids can speed up the coagulation of latex by neutralizing the negative charge on protein membrane?
My teacher told me that the hydrogen ions from the acids neutralizes the negative charges of the protein membrane.
But why ammonia solution which is a base also has ammonia ions which is positive ions having positive charges cannot neutralizes the negative charges?

I tried to find it out on many resource in internet but it seemed not working.
Anyone can help me out?
:)
cschuah92

MyHomeTuition.com

Re: Question on Coagulation of Latex

Postby balletrocks92 on Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:11 pm

My teacher told me this when I ask her about it...

The coagulation of latex happens when there's the presence of hydrogen ion which has a positive charge. The positive charge of the hydrogen ion neutralises the negative charges around the protein membrane. When the charges are neutralized, the latex coagulates. However, the most important factor is the acidity of the medium surrounding the latex. When there's acidic medium, the latex will undergo coagulation.

You asked about why ammonium ion present in the ionisation of ammonium hydroxide which has a positive charge cannot work as hydrogen ion. This is because ammonium ion has no acidic properties, it acts as a alkali. Thus causing the latex to be surrounded by alkali medium which the coagulation process will be prevented.

Hope it helps.

Yvonne (balletrocks92)
balletrocks92

Return to 2. Carbon Compound